By attending this course, you will learn about:
- Drilling method selection, and advantages/drawbacks for each method
- Techniques and rationale for designing wells for optimal performance
- Borehole analysis techniques
- Well design calculations (e.g., hydraulic pressure, annular volume, buoyancy)
- Construction management and documentation requirements during well installation
- Techniques for evaluation and rehabilitation of existing wells
- Health and safety considerations at drilling sites.
Who should attend?
- Groundwater scientists
- Groundwater engineers
- New/early career groundwater professionals
- Public health officials
- State and local regulatory personnel
- Those needing a refresher.
You will receive...
- A course notebook
- Midmorning and afternoon beverage breaks.
7:30 a.m. Registration
8:00 a.m. Section 1: Introductions and overview of wells
8:20 a.m. Section 2: Drilling methods —
- Cable tool
- Mud rotary
- Air rotary
- Dual rotary
- Reverse circulation (flooded reverse)
- Environmental drilling methods
9:50 a.m. Break
10:10 a.m. Section 3: Well design concepts —
- Data limitations
- Hydrogeological impacts
- Communication issues
11:00 a.m. Section 4: Borehole analysis —
- Analysis techniques
- Troubleshooting drilling problems
12:00 p.m. Lunch (on your own)
1:15 p.m. Section 5: Design sequence and material selection
1:45 p.m. Section 6: Design calculations —
- Fluid pressure calculation
- Annular volume calculation
- Buoyancy calculation
2:20 p.m. Break
2:40 p.m. Section 7: Well installation and completion
3:15 p.m. Section 8: Well evaluation and rehabilitation —
- Spinner log flow profile analysis
- Dye tracer flow profile analysis
- Well modification case studies
4:15 p.m. Section 9: Health and safety considerations at drilling sites
4:45 p.m. Question-and-answer session
5:00 p.m. Course adjourns
• NGWA members — $620
• Nonmembers — $770
Team discounts up to 10% available. Click for more details.
Full-time students can save 10% by using code STU-373Dec19.
In order to receive this discount, you need to register by phone, or enter the code on the print form and return it to us by fax or mail.
Westgate Las Vegas Resort & Casino
3000 Paradise Road
Las Vegas, Nevada 89109
Accommodations: NGWA’s accommodations room block has sold out and we have been informed the hotel is fully booked. You may want to try these nearby hotels found via hotels.com for availability — Fairfield Inn & Suites, rate listed is $177.00 per night; La Quinta, $79.00 daily rate; The Rita Suites, $64.00 daily rate; or Sahara Resort, $124.00 daily rate. (Information available as of November 8, 2019.)