By attending this course, you will learn about:
- Drilling method selection, and advantages/drawbacks for each method
- Techniques and rationale for designing wells for optimal performance
- Borehole analysis techniques
- Well design calculations (e.g., hydraulic pressure, annular volume, buoyancy)
- Construction management and documentation requirements during well installation
- Techniques for evaluation and rehabilitation of existing wells
- Health and safety considerations at drilling sites.
Who should attend?
- Groundwater scientists
- Groundwater engineers
- New/early career groundwater professionals
- Public health officials
- State and local regulatory personnel
- Those needing a refresher.
You will receive...
- A course notebook
- Midmorning and afternoon beverage breaks.
7:30 a.m. Registration
8:00 a.m. Section 1: Introductions and overview of wells
8:20 a.m. Section 2: Drilling methods —
- Cable tool
- Mud rotary
- Air rotary
- Dual rotary
- Reverse circulation (flooded reverse)
- Environmental drilling methods
9:50 a.m. Break
10:10 a.m. Section 3: Well design concepts —
- Data limitations
- Hydrogeological impacts
- Communication issues
11:00 a.m. Section 4: Borehole analysis —
- Analysis techniques
- Troubleshooting drilling problems
12:00 p.m. Lunch (on your own)
1:15 p.m. Section 5: Design sequence and material selection
1:45 p.m. Section 6: Design calculations —
- Fluid pressure calculation
- Annular volume calculation
- Buoyancy calculation
2:20 p.m. Break
2:40 p.m. Section 7: Well installation and completion
3:15 p.m. Section 8: Well evaluation and rehabilitation —
- Spinner log flow profile analysis
- Dye tracer flow profile analysis
- Well modification case studies
4:15 p.m. Section 9: Health and safety considerations at drilling sites
4:45 p.m. Question-and-answer session
5:00 p.m. Course adjourns
On/before November 6
- NGWA member — $520
- Nonmember — $670
Starting November 7
- NGWA member — $620
- Nonmember — $770
Team discounts up to 10% available. Click for more details.
Full-time students can save 10% by using code STU-20dec373.
Westgate Las Vegas Resort & Casino
3000 Paradise Road
Las Vegas, Nevada 89109
Accommodations: NGWA has secured a limited block of rooms on a first come, first served basis starting at $97 per night, plus resort fees and applicable taxes. This group rate applies to NGWA room block and is valid until the November 6 cutoff date, unless our room block has been filled before that date. Remember, you are responsible for securing your own reservations. Click here to make your reservations online. If you phone to make reservations, be sure to state you are attending this NGWA event and use code SNGW0R. For guest check-in and checkout times, please contact the hotel directly.