The NGWA-01-14 Water Well Construction Standard was conceived to fill the need for a voluntary consensus standard related to the construction of all water wells, with the exception to only those that are geothermal or hand dug.
Topics of the standard
The Water Well Construction Standard includes the following sections:
- Well Site Selection
- Casing and Casing Installation
- Well Screens, Filter Pack, and Formation Stabilizer
- Plumbness and Alignment
- Well Development
- Testing for Performance
- Data Recording
- Disinfection with Chlorine
- Water Sampling and Analysis
- Permanent Well and Test-Hole Decommissioning.
Timeline of development
The standard development process is crucial to ensure an open, unbiased document that has been available to any interested parties for comment and review. That said, there is structure to the commenting process. Comments may be submitted at any time, however the standard developer (NGWA) can choose to hold comments unrelated to a current change until the next open revision. This allows the process to move forward without being held up in comment resolution at all times.
The following date serves as an important milestone for both the development of the standard and the involvement of industry stakeholders.
- July 28, 2017 — NGWA standard revision Project Initiation Notification announced via ANSI’s Standards Action
ANSI requirements for standard development include that all interested parties must be included in the process. This is achieved through a variety of ways, including a balance of interest categories of individuals who participate in the voting process, public review of any substantive change for all interested parties, and transparency in the notification of standard activities.
Interest categories for the revision of NGWA’s Water Well Construction Standard include:
- Contractors — those who complete the physical groundwater work
- Manufacturers/suppliers — those who make the equipment to install the materials to retrieve the groundwater or provide the contractors with this equipment or these materials
- Other — those who have a demonstrable material interest in a proposed or existing standard that do not identify with the other interest categories listed.
How can you get involved?
Interested volunteers are asked to respond by filling out the standard development task group application.
There is currently a wait list for participants representing the "contractor" and "other" interest categories, however, applications can be submitted for the wait list at any time and will be considered in the order in which they are received.
For more information, contact Jessica Michell at email@example.com or (800) 551-7379
(614 898-7791), ext. 1511.