For those dealing with a water well flooded by hurricanes, NGWA has resources available to help you.
For well owners —
- Do not drink the water or wash with it, but use an alternative supply such as bottled water
- Stay away from the well pump while it’s flooded to avoid electrical shock
- Get a qualified water well contractor or pump installer to —
- Clean and turn on the pump
- Flush the well
- Disinfect the well
- Perform any other necessary maintenance
- Check with the local emergency management agency about any guidance relating to local conditions or specific contamination threats due to area flooding.
NGWA recommends that water well system professionals be used to assess and service the well. You can search for NGWA-member or NGWA-certified professionals at WellOwner.org under “Finding a Contractor.”
For water well contractors —